If you’ve read my blog before or seen my Instagram, I’m sure it’ll come as no surprise that I love living by the sea. Today’s DIY keyring tassel is inspired by the colours and textures of the seaside and is really easy to make, and will definitely brighten up your keys! (Of course, you can make it in whatever colours you want, but I went for my favourite blue and white combination.)
You will need:
Embroidery thread in 2 colours
How to make:
1) Select the thread that you would like to use for the main tassel. To create the tassel, wind it round a small rectangular object – I used a small staple box but you could also use something like your phone or a set of post-it notes. The more times you wind the thread around the box, the thicker your tassel will be.
2) With a shorter length of thread, tie a knot around the middle of the bunch of thread to secure it and hold it in place. You can then slide all of the thread off the box.
3) Using sharp scissors, cut the bottom of the loop of thread so that the ends hang loose.
4) With a contrasting colour of thread, tie a length around the middle of the loose ends and wind it round – imagine it as a belt around the middle of your tassel! Tie the ends securely and trim the ends of the length of thread.
5) Trim the bottom of your tassel with scissors so that all the ends are the same length.
6) Thread some beads or other decorative accessories onto the end of the thread at the top of the tassel.
7) Slide the keyring onto the end of the thread above the beads and tie securely in place – this will also hold the beads in place.
8) When all the ends are tied and trimmed, your keyring is finished! Attach onto your keys and enjoy!